Try this Thai-style stir fry using peanut butter as the star ingredient – the flavour is incredible (trust me!), and a great way to use up leftover vegetables.
Serve with rice, or as a side to chicken or fish.
(I’ve listed the vegetables used here in the photo, but you can use any combination – leafy greens and quick cooking vegetables are best; the more colourful the better!)
For the peanut sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 heaped tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky is nice but smooth works just as well)
- juice of one lime
- 1-2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- half cup / 125 ml hot water
For the stir fry
- 1 tbsp olive oil / sesame oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 red bell pepper
- half a red chill (optional)
- Rice to serve (suggest basmati or quick cook brown rice)
- Roasted peanuts / coriander to serve (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil for the rice – this will take the longest to cook. You should be able to complete the remainder of the steps by the time your rice is cooked.
- Start by making the peanut sauce. Peel the garlic and ginger and grate both into a large bowl (you’ll need plenty of room to mix). Heap in the peanut butter, one tablespoon of the soy sauce and the lime juice.
- Start to mix together using a spoon, gradually adding the hot water (which should help to soften the peanut butter). At first it will look as though the ingredients aren’t coming together but keep going – you’ll end up with a smooth sauce. Add enough water until the sauce is thick, but will drop off a spoon. Taste and add extra soy as wished then set to one side.
- Chop up your vegetables into small pieces or grate the harder vegetables like carrots- this will help them to cook more quickly and evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and tip in the onion. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the peanut sauce to the pan and toss the vegetables in the sauce until coated. Check for seasoning – you may want to add a squeeze more lime.
- Drain the rice, and divide between your plates before adding the stir fry. Scatter over a handful of peanuts and chopped coriander and enjoy!