This is one of those throw it all together salads that was inspired by my weekly veg box when I had a head of cabbage and fennel that needed using . Make a big dish and serve with roasted chicken or some salmon fillets – if you have leftovers, they’re brilliant for lunch tossed with mackerel strips.
- half a head of white cabbage
- 1 large bulb of fennel
- 2 large oranges
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- good pinch of salt and black pepper
- half bunch of fresh coriander, stalks removed
- 50 grams grilled / toasted almonds (you can buy these online, or simply toast for a few minutes in a pan)
- Wash all your vegetables, then remove the fronds, top and tail and outer shell from the fennel. Cut the bulb in half lengthways and slice very thinly. Put into a large bowl.
- Peel the outer leaves from the cabbage and remove the stalk by cutting around it. Slice the cabbage finely and add to the fennel.
- Remove the top and bottom from each orange orange and slice off the peel off by cutting top to bottom, in downward strokes. Holding the orange over the bowl, segment the pieces into the bowl, by cutting between the membranes so you avoid the pith. After the whole orange has been segmented, give the remaining flesh a good squeeze to get all the juice out. Repeat with the second orange.
- Roughly chop the almonds with a knife and add to the bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper and chopped coriander (remove the stalks before chopping)
- Toss all the ingredients together and then transfer to a bowl for serving.